Thursday, March 25, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup


I know, I know. Some of you are probably wondering why in the world am I posting a soup recipe in middle/late March. Well, I remember that I posted a picture on Facebook a few months ago and Allison asked me for the recipe and I never got around to it. Well, she lives in Denver, CO and they got a TON of snow yesterday, and so I figure she would probably like to have some soup. Here in Savannah, it's going to be 78 degrees today, so it's not something that I would cook right now but if I don't post it now I'll never remember to do it until next fall. ha! Allison! Here you go!

This is so easy! You just throw everything into the crockpot and let it cook 4-6 hours.

  • 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken (I boil the chicken until it is cooked through and then let it rest a minute and shred it with a fork)
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed (I use a can of tomato sauce since Greg hates chunks of anything in his food)
  • 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (I use onion powder rather than an onion for the same reason listed above)
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers (I run these through the food processor because of Greg's hate for chunks)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups water (I don't really add water unless it looks really thick)
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. wait, are you telling me there's no black beans in there? it definitely looks like there are black beans. don't lie to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I am definitely going to try this when I get back to Montgomery to my crockpot. Love all the recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison, YES there are black beans in there! I didn't realize that they aren't in the recipe... I add 2 cans if black beans that I rinse very well. Good eye!

    ReplyDelete